Sunday 1 June 2014

Posted by Sibon Phiri on 14:25 1 comment


For quite a while now, I have been having lunch at work by myself. I usually arrange with a colleague or a friend to meet up and have lunch together but lately I have preferred to be alone. I was never like this before. I was a person that had to be around people as much as possible. I could not stand being alone. Now things are different.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not a loner. I do enjoy being in other people’s company. I spend most days (in the evening or at weekends) with friends or family but I also enjoy my own company and I think it’s something we should do regularly. It may seem odd for many, because we live a very social society where having many friends, connecting with the community and being part of something is highly encouraged, and rightly so. We develop our communication skills and learn from other people’s life experience through interaction and building relationships with others. But I also believe that solitude helps our personal growth.

If we never take time out to be by ourselves, how we will truly know ourselves? How we will be able to think about our life, where it’s taking us and what it is we need to do in order to change it?

I really value my time alone because its there that I discovered who I was, what I wanted and what I needed to do to become the person I wanted to be. Many times our lives are dictated by our circumstances and other people’s opinions because we don’t know what we want. We don’t take time out to discover what we want.

 I didn’t like myself much. I was plagued with insecurities, complexes and fear and that’s why I hated being alone. When I started to receive help for these things and learned to love myself, I no longer hated being alone. I believe when you are at peace with yourself, you start to look at yourself in a positive light, you start to be comfortable with who you are and you really enjoy your own company.

The help I received was not professional. It was spiritual help, help I received from God and those who He put in my path to guide and help me become a better me. I am still a work in a progress and have a lot to change but I am happier and in a better place then I was before.


1 comments:

  1. i enjoy me time too, because it gives me time to reflect on my personal goals.

    ReplyDelete