Thursday 22 May 2014

Posted by Sibon Phiri on 11:38 No comments
I always labelled myself as someone who was not creative at all! I would look to people who knew how to mix and match clothes well, come up with their own creative designs and pull off a neat outfit, and think “woooow they’re so creative and talented.” But I never had the audacity to step out of my shell and try to learn how to be creative.

If I wanted something done, I would ask others to do it for me. If I had old, ripped and stained clothes, I would bin them. I never thought about recycling or making a new outfit or bag out of them. I have really nice skirts and tops that I haven’t worn for a long time, simply because of a small tear or broken zip, that I could have fixed by now! The truth is, I was being narrow minded, lazy had been procrastinating until now!! I was inspired and finally took action on the inspiration given to me to start recycling old clothes, re-using stained and ripped clothes and being creative with my wardrobe. 

Yesterday I sewed two pieces of clothing to make one…as you can see below. I currently have a bag full of clothes that need altering and I have so many ideas in my head and on paper of what I am going to do with them! I’m aiming to work on one piece of clothing each week and I am looking forward it. It’s funny, something I wasn’t interested in doing for myself, has become something I am excited about!

 I didn’t feel like learning how to sew again and being creative with my clothes, but when I decided to do it anyway, regardless of whether I felt like it or not, I learned two things: 1) If we keep waiting to feel like starting something, we will never start because our feelings are like the weather, they change all the time. 2) Creativity is something we can learn and develop, if we are willing to invest time into it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment